Although UXprobe’s offices are located in the nice tower of Startit @ KBC, right in the city center of Antwerp, we love to get out of the building (GOOB) and learn from our customers. During these face-to-face talks we already have been asked a couple of times whether or not it is possible to use UXprobe when performing a usability test with an Axure prototype. Especially without having to bother a developer to make it work. Our short answer to this question proudly is: “Yes, you can!”.
Let me walk you through the simple steps to integrate UXprobe within your prototype. If you don’t have Axure yet, you can grab a free trial from their website and follow along.
There’s a trick to it but – don’t worry! – you do not need to be an ace in programming to make this work! You will have to use the Open link in current window action. Before starting, you have to check one thing: make sure that a new “UXprobe” session is created when the prototype opens in the browser.
This is how you do it:
- Create a master called “UXprobe”
- Add case to OnPageLoad and call it e.g. “Start UXprobe Session”
- Place this master on each page of your prototype
Now each time you publish your prototype in AxShare, a new session should be created!
2. Track tasks, features, errors
To perform a usability test, you will want to track tasks, features and errors. Here again, this is very easy to set up:
- Create a widget, e.g. a button called “Hello World!”
- Select the OnClick event of that button
- Add an Open link in current window action
- The last statement must be “void” otherwise it will not work with Internet Explorer
- Do not use single line comments “//”
- Make sure that you only have 1 Open link in current window action, because multiple ones would cancel each other out.
3. Publish your prototype in AxShare
4. Add UXprobe’s plugin
And now, thanks to UXprobe, you can easily test and improve your prototype!
Want to try this yourself but you don’t have an Axure prototype available? Just download our Axure prototype of our famous Scratchy app.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR